Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Woman Gangraped,burnt alive


A 25-year-old mother of two was allegedly gangraped before being burnt alive for having spurned a man who wanted to marry her, police said on Tuesday. All the four accused have been arrested. The victim succumbed to burn injuries at a city hospitalA24-year-old woman was allegedly gangraped by four men nd then burnt alive at her ouse at Sion-Koliwada on Monday evening. The victim -- Nadiya Raja Devendra -uccumbed to 90 per cent urns late in the night.

The Antop Hill police have rrested all the four accused -- Nitya Devendra, Rajesh evendra, Kumar Devendra all brothers) and their friend hankar Mudalayar -- on the asisofNadiya'sdyingdeclara on. The accused were report dly harassing her for the past ew months, trying to force her nto an affair with Nitya.

The victim's husband is a rihanmumbai Municipal orporation sweeper. The ouple have two children - ne is three years old and the ther is one-and-a-half years ld. The victim's younger siser, Mary Reddy, who stays ith her husband at Vile Parle, ut was visiting her parents' ouse at Sion-Koliwada, is a itness to the crime.

"Mysisteraskedmetocome o her flat for dinner. I went here at around 6:30 pm, saw he doors and windows shut ut could hear sounds of a cuffle. I peeped in through a mall hole in the door to see our men stripping my sister nd raping her," said Reddy.

She ran back home to fetch er parents but they were not at home. "When I came back, I saw three men holding my sister and the fourth dousing her in kerosene and setting her on fire. While I ran downstairs, the men ran away from the flat. We rushed her to Sion Hospital with the help of neighbours," she said.

In her dying declaration, the victim said that she knew all the accused since 2004, when Nitya reportedly approached her father and sought to marry Nadiya. "My parents rejected the proposal as he neither had a job nor a good reputation. In 2005, I got married but Nitya continued to harass me even after that.

After my husband would leave for work, he and his companions would call me or bang on the door of my house, asking me to go out with them but I never allowed them entry. I never spoke out about the harassment as I feared for my family's safety," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment